Strengthening security with 2-Step Verification
As online attacks continue to grow both in number and sophistication, it’s more important than ever to have secure controls in place for your accounts.
2-Step Verification (2SV) is now available to all KCCU MemberDirect® online and mobile banking users and will offer you an additional layer of security to your online banking experience. 2-Step Verification is designed to better protect you against unauthorized access and misuse of your account if your credentials are compromised.
2-Step Verification offers our members:
- Enhanced security – 2SV strengthens your secure login, making it more difficult for fraudsters to access your accounts. 2SV can help prevent phishing, cyber-attacks, identity theft and other types of fraud.
- Convenience - Setup for 2SV is quick and easy. By simple verification of your identity through a personal device, you will boost access control and create a more secure login.
- Peace of mind - Of course, one of the most important benefits of enabling 2SV is the confidence you’ll gain, knowing your online accounts have an extra layer of protection.
What is 2-Step Verification?
2-Step Verification (also referred to as 2-Factor Authentication or Multi-Factor Authentication) is a simple process of identity verification delivered through a second layer of sign-in security. It replaces the current static identification questions and answers with a single-use verification code for your secure log in. The verification code is delivered to you by text message or email directly to the mobile phone or email inbox that you registered in your initial set up. All you need to do is retrieve the code from your text messages or email, input and submit it to complete your sign in. Once the code is entered and submitted, you can proceed to your online or mobile banking activity. If you don’t enter the verification code, access to online or mobile banking will be denied.
How does 2-Step Verification work?
- Once 2-Step Verification has been activated on your account, in addition to using your Branch, Member Number, and Personal Access Code (PAC) to sign in, you also will need to enter a verification code to sign in.
- When you log into your online banking or the mobile app with your usual credentials, you'll be presented with a verification code entry screen that advises you that a one-time use verification code has been generated and sent to the text number or email address your provided when you initially activated 2SV. This provides the second layer of security as it sends the verification code only to your device or email.
- Enter the one-use verification code sent to you to and submit it for verification on the verification code entry screen.
- Authentication is complete if the verification code is verified, and you can proceed with your digital banking activities.
- If an incorrect code is entered more than three times, the account will be locked as a security measure. You will need to contact your branch to validate your identity and have your account unlocked.
How do I activate 2-Step Verification?
When the feature becomes available, easy to use instructions will be provided to assist you with set up. When you set up 2SV you will be required to verify a trusted personal device, such as your mobile phone or email to received future verification codes. After entering your cell phone number or email you’ll be sent a one-use code through the method (cell phone or email) you selected for identity verification. You will be required to enter the verification code you received and sign into your online or mobile banking.
2-Step Verification will only be required when necessary, such as a login from an unknown device.
Will 2SV send me a code every time I log in?
No. The online banking system will determine when further authentication (2SV) is required. Certain situations where a further authentication might be required are (but not limited to):
- Logging in from a new device (Computer, phone, tablet, etc.)
- Logging in for the first time in a long time (2 months, 3 months, etc.)
Can I choose to skip 2SV when logging in?
Members can select the Not Now button to defer their enrollment into 2SV for a certain period however, once the grace period is exceeded, you will be required to enroll with an email address or cell phone number to receive their verification code and login.
To learn more about staying safe online: